Method of Instruction:
Day Classes (Full Time)
Program Length & Type:
14-month Diploma Program
Vocational Nursing Diploma Program Overview
The Vocational Nursing Diploma curriculum is designed to meet the needs of individuals who intend to enter the nursing practice. The Vocational Nursing role represents the beginning level of the nursing practice continuum.
National Career College’s Vocational Nursing diploma gives you access to entry-level jobs in the allied health profession. Students will get instruction both within and outside of the classroom, including hands-on nursing skills in a clinical setting
You could work within residential care facilities, hospitals, physicians’ offices, home healthcare services, or the government.
Vocational Nursing Program Outcomes?
Upon graduation from National Career College, students will receive a Diploma in Vocational Nursing. After graduation, students could meet the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) requirements. Once met the next step is to register and take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-VN). Students are required to pass the NCLEX-VN examination in order to become Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN).
National Career College’s NCLEX examination annual rate for 2022 is above is above the state average annual rate.
How Long Is The Vocational Nursing Program?
National Career College’s Vocational Nursing Program takes 14 months to complete. Our Vocational Nursing Diploma Program is available on campus with both day and evening classes offered.
What Will You Learn In Our Vocational Nursing Program?
The following classes and course modules are offered with the Vocational Nursing Diploma at National Career College:
- Fundamentals of Nursing: Learn about the role of the vocational nurse as an important part of the healthcare team, providing care to those in need and assisting them on their journey to optimal health. This program will give students a comprehensive overview of the legal and ethical aspects of nursing, as well as topics such as body mechanics, personal hygiene, basic nursing procedures, principles of infection control, emergency care, nutrition and diet therapy, geriatric care, home and community health nursing, and restorative and rehabilitation care.
- Anatomy and Physiology: Learn about the human body as a living, functioning organism that responds to internal and external changes. You are introduced to body chemistry and microbiology in this module. Medical terminology is integrated throughout this module with emphasis placed on learning to analyze, pronounce, and spell keywords.
- Pharmacology: Learn about the basic principles of pharmacology with an introduction to the various aspects of drug use and administration. Mathematical concepts are covered, with a focus on drug dosage calculations. Legal aspects of medication administration are discussed, as well as medical terminology related to drugs and drug administration. Further topics include pharmacokinetics, body system classification of medications, principles of medication administration, and patient safety considerations.
- Medical Surgical Nursing I: Learn about nursing care for adult clients with common medical-surgical health care needs in a variety of settings. Along with health promotion, nurses learn about the etiology and basic pathophysiology of disorders. You will also learn about their role in diagnostic tests, recognizing clinical signs and symptoms, providing nursing interventions including demonstrating cultural and spiritual competency, and identifying complications.
- Medical Surgical Nursing II: Learn about nursing care for adult clients with common medical-surgical health care needs in a variety of settings. You will be able to apply concepts of care for clients experiencing common medical-surgical health disorders related to systems: urinary, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, lymphatic/bloods, neurosensory, and reproductive.
- Medical Surgical Nursing III: Learn about health promotion along with the concepts of the etiology and basic pathophysiology of disorders, the nurse’s role in diagnostic tests, recognizing clinical signs and symptoms of disorders, providing nursing interventions, including demonstrating cultural and spiritual competencies, and the identification of possible complications. The student will be able to apply Concepts of leadership and supervision and principles of professional development.
- Maternal Health (Obstetrics): Learn about the nursing process in caring for the childbearing family. You will also learn nursing care for high-risk and complications of pregnancy. Emphasis is placed on the childbearing family during the prenatal, intrapartum, and postpartum periods.
- Child Health (Pediatrics): Learn about the growth and development, anticipatory guidance, cultural and spiritual needs, and common health care problems of children from infancy through adolescence.
- Mental Health: Learn about nursing care that emphasizes the promotion and support of the emotional, mental, and social well-being of clients in a variety of settings. You will also learn about the continuum of mental health and current treatment modalities. Students will be able to apply concepts of care to clients with psychosocial problems.
- NCLEX Review: Learn about the concepts required for licensure examination and entry into the practice of professional nursing. You will complete the NCLEX-PN test plan, assessment of knowledge deficits, and development of individual study plans based on the results of previous specialty ATI exams. This is a residential course and completion of the Vocational Nursing Program.
Why National Career College?
National Career College provides a unique learning experience in the Los Angeles area. We prepare students for entry-level positions as Vocational Nurses in residential care facilities, hospitals, and other healthcare service institutions. Our program provides a unique offering of both classroom instruction and practical experience.
Our Vocational Nursing Program is accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). We focus on individualized instruction and small class sizes. For details on what motivates us to provide the best experience for our students, please see our Mission Statement.
Vocational Nursing Training Near Me
If you live in or around the Panorama City area in California or in San Fernando Valley, National Career College offers Vocational Nursing training at the following location:
At National Career College, we don’t want finances to limit your career opportunities. Your education is one of the most important investments you can make. If you are unable to afford the education costs on your own, you may qualify for financial aid. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify! Please visit our Financial Aid Page to find out more!