For so many, the opportunity to pursue a dream career by studying or retraining is an exhilarating concept. After all, finding a new vocation doing a job you love can be incredibly mentally and financially rewarding.

However, if the short-term concerns of affording the cost of retraining are worrying you… then speak to National Career College today. At NCC, we can help guide you through the range of course financing options available, such as a Cal Grant that can keep your ambitions alive!

Did you know that in the state of California, several financial aid options exist for students, including applying via the Pell Grant or Cal Grant program? These are financial grants awarded to students to help cover the cost of tuition, however, unlike a Student Loan, a Pell Grant or Cal Grant does NOT need to be repaid.

At NCC, we have a dedicated Financial Aid Department committed to helping students overcome these financial concerns to ensure they achieve their career goals.


Speak to NCC’s Financial Aid Department Today


What Are the Student Financial Aid Options Available to Me?

The great news is here in California, there are plenty of student financial aid options available to those who qualify, in the form of federal loans and non-repayable grant programs. These financial aid programs include:

  • The Cal Grant Programs
  • The Chafee Grant
  • Pell Grant
  • GI Bill Benefits
  • The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • A Federal Subsidized Direct Loan
  • A Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan
  • Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
  • Private Loans & Scholarships

At NCC, our Financial Aid Department team is here to help assess which financing route best suits your situation, primarily based on your financial requirements. In addition, we can help to compare programs, answer questions, and assist with completing loan and grant applications.

For many students, particularly from moderate to low-income families, applying for grants through the Pell Grant or Cal Grant program is preferable primarily because students don’t need to pay these grants back, which allows graduates to avoid unnecessary debt.

What Is and How Can I Apply for the Cal Grant and Pell Grants?

There are a few varying factors between a Pell Grant vs Cal Grant. However, despite these differences, it is possible for certain students to qualify to receive both, and while a Cal Grant is a state grant and requires a minimum GPA score, a Pell Grant is a federal grant and is not determined by your GPA.

Both grant programs are available through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process. However, the Cal Grant application is also available via the CA Dream Act Application (CADAA) portal.

Do I Qualify For a Cal Grant?

Cal Grants are administered and maintained by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), which determines your eligibility through your FAFSA or CADAA application. Here at NCC, all of our educational courses are eligible for all three types of Cal Grants available – tiers A, B, and C.

While the CSAC Cal Grant website provides detailed information on how to qualify for Cal Grant, in addition to meeting the CSAC qualifying financial criteria, Cal Grant eligibility is also dependent on students1:

  • Submitting the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application and your verified Cal Grant GPA before the set deadline
  • Being either a U.S. citizen, eligible noncitizen, or meeting AB540 eligibility criteria
  • Being a resident of California for at least one year
  • Attending a qualifying California college
  • Not having a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • Having financial needs at the college of your choice
  • Having family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • Being enrolled or planning to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • Being enrolled or planning to enroll at least half time
  • Do not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • Not being incarcerated
  • Maintaining the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school.

Our dedicated Financial Aid Department is here to help guide eligible students through the FAFSA and CADAA Cal Grant application processes. Fortunately, the CSAC automatically determines all eligible students’ Cal Grant Bandings (A, B, and C) via these applications.

How Much Will I Receive and What Can My Cal Grant Money be Used For?

Based on the Cal Grant tier you are allocated, the CSAC will determine both the amount of financial aid awarded and which educational expenses it can be spent on. Depending on your allotted Cal Grant tier, these funds may be used to pay for:

  • Class tuition fees
  • College books and supplies
  • Housing
  • Food
  • Transportation costs to and from school.

Further details of the CSAC Cal Grant award amounts and allowed expenditures can be found here.

Let NCC Help You Reach for Your Dream Career Today!

Here at National Career College, we share our student’s determination to create a new career path through further education. In addition, we pride ourselves on helping pupils overcome financial concerns and limitations in order to help them succeed.

We know the challenges involved in preparing to learn a new vocation. That’s why our devoted financial aid team is here to help ensure our students are well informed on all the available financial grants and loans available to them. That way, you can focus solely on your education and future career ambitions. Financial Aid is available to those who qualify!

Learn more about getting started at NCC here or call us at 888-988-2301!


For More Information on Cal Grant, Speak to the NCC Financial Aid Department Today